Most Clicked This Week
- #BDSFail Israel gives Omar Shakir until May 1 to leave, noting "the appellant continues to call publicly for a boycott of Israel, or parts of it, while at the same time asking [Israel] to open its doors to him"
- Israel’s election: “The two Jewish parties that dared to talk openly about peace with the Palestinians captured just 10 seats in the 120-seat parliament”
- Genetic researchers: Jewish DNA present in almost 1/4 of 650 million Latin Americans
- As Notre Dame burns...."church doors across Europe smeared with Islamic expressions like 'Allahu Akbar'"
- #NYT "Apology" OpEd: "After #Trump’s vindication, the liberal media and its allies in government should face a reckoning. I’m not holding my breath"
- EVENT Chicago FIDF Annual Dinner
- The term “#Nakba” was first referenced in George Antonius’s influential 1938 book “The Arab Awakening” and had nothing to do with Israel; it referred to the “post-WWI creation of the modern Middle East”
- "Rabbi Avraham Sinai, once Ibrahim Yassin, spied on #Hezbollah for Israel. This week his son Amos, born a Shiite Muslim in Lebanon, received a presidential citation for service in Golani brigade"
Tag Archives: Haredi
“Israel’s confusing plethora of small parties actually keeps Ḥaredim and Israeli Arabs, in particular, from becoming too alienated”
MOSAIC How Israel’s Electoral System Brings the Country’s Fringes Into Its Center by Evelyn Gordon April 9, 2019 Like Haviv Rettig Gur in “How and Why Israelis Vote,” I, too, think the advantages of Israel’s parliamentary system outweigh its disadvantages, … Continue reading
“Nachal Haredi, an army unit made up entirely of former yeshiva students, is growing and is a highly trained and successful combat unit”
MOMENT What Will It Take to Get the Haredim to Enlist? by Naomi Ragen November/December 2018 …Ever since the nascent State of Israel agreed in 1948 in return for Orthodox support not to draft 400 yeshiva students—a number that by … Continue reading
“Last week, Israeli media reported of rioting Haredim onboard an El Al plane. The true story turned out to be very different, and deeply revealing”
TABLET MAG The Flight 002 Election by Liel Leibovitz November 21, 2018 Last Thursday, as New York was struggling with the obstacles presented by 5 mighty inches of snow, El Al Flight 002 to Tel Aviv, scheduled to depart at 6:30 … Continue reading
“Life in the IDF as a haredi soldier offers a different slate of trials and tribulations than the average recruit encounters”
JERUSALEM POST Haredim in the IDF get the small-screen treatment by Amy Spiro October 18, 2017 A group of angry ultra-Orthodox Jews surrounds a bus, yelling and throwing eggs on it. Aboard the bus? Haredi men who are signing up … Continue reading
BLOOMBERG Court Forces Israel to Face Its Ultra-Orthodox Problem by Daniel Gordis September 14, 2017 When Israel’s Supreme Court ruled this week that a law exempting ultra-Orthodox young men from military service is unconstitutional, it did more than pose yet another political … Continue reading
MOSAIC MAGAZINE by Peter Berkowitz December 8, 2014 Liberal democracies like Israel need and depend on pious people. But they don’t need to— and shouldn’t—subsidize grown men for not working…..Yet they are generally exempt from military service and, thanks to … Continue reading
YNET by Kobi Nachshoni November 19, 2014 Thousands of Israeli Druze and Jews grieve at funeral for policeman slain in terror attack Hundreds of people from Haredi sector respond to calls on social media to accompany Master Sergeant Zidan Saif … Continue reading