US dismayed to find East Jerusalem housing project back on docket of planning committee’s agenda for next week, after Israeli officials leaked that plan was shelved

TIMES OF ISRAEL
Blinken initiated call with PM amid doubts Israel actually called off Atarot plan
by Jacob Magid
December 3, 2021

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken initiated a phone call with Prime Minister Naftali Bennett on Wednesday night to express his dismay over Israeli plans to advance a controversial East Jerusalem housing project despite signaling last week that it had shelved the plan, sources familiar with the matter told The Times of Israel. The phone call was “intense,” an official said, with Blinken expressing the Biden administration’s vehement opposition to the 9,000-home plan in Atarot, which supporters of a two-state solution argue would mark a death knell for the proposal by creating a wedge in the middle of Palestinian contiguity between Ramallah and East Jerusalem. READ MORE

This entry was posted in Israel & Middle East, Politics and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.