TIMES OF ISRAEL
Blinken says Iran deal no longer a priority, warns Tehran of ‘consequences’
January 18, 2023
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken doubled down Tuesday on the assertion that the United States no longer considers reaching an agreement with Iran over its nuclear program a priority, and warned Tehran of “consequences” for its actions at home and in Russia. At a press conference in Washington alongside UK Foreign Secretary James Cleverly, Blinken said Iran had long rejected the possibility of reviving the original agreement from 2015, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action. “The Iranians killed the opportunity to come back to that agreement swiftly many months ago,” he said. “There was an opportunity on the table that they rejected, an opportunity that was approved by all who were involved.” READ MORE
JNS Sullivan kicks off Israel visit focused on Iran Sullivan said last week that the Iranian nuclear threat would be a “substantial topic of conversation” during his visit. “We’ll have the opportunity to engage deeply with the new Israeli government on the threat posed by Iran. And I think we share the same fundamental objectives. And we will work through any differences we have on tactics, the same way that we have over the course of the past two years,” he said.
FREE BEACON Iranian Military Leader Threatens Destruction of US and Israel An Iranian military leader said on Tuesday that the Islamic Republic is strengthening its military infrastructure and will soon oversee the destruction of Israel and the United States. Brigadier General Ali Fadavi, the deputy commander in chief of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), Tehran’s chief terrorism force, said that “very soon” the world “will witness the destruction of the Zionist regime.” Iran, he said, is equipping Palestinian militant groups such as Hamas to wage war against Israel.